OHS DECA is all business

Ben Johnson

DECA adviser Mr. Scott Pierce helps out senior Dawson Ringhofer in DECA prep class

Ben Johnson, Writer

DECA is a great way for high school students to get started down the path of business and entrepreneurship. It is an organization that helps prepare students for careers in areas such as marketing, finance, sales and much more. DECA adviser and business teacher, Mr. Scott Pierce said, “DECA is for business students that are interested in having a further career in business, but it can be for anybody because it helps you with thinking on your feet and social interaction.” The organization helps give experience to students interested in any of the numerous career paths that business holds, and it does this through role playing. Role plays are the main event that is competed in DECA. They involve taking on a variety of roles ranging from a business owner to a prospective employee undergoing a job interview. Once taking on these roles, the students are assessed by volunteer judges who score on a number of different categories regarding the overall performance of that role.

DECA is a ton of fun and has taught me important things like how to operate inside a business as well as the importance of businesses in our society. I am very excited to see how this year unfolds.

— Dawson Ringhofer

Another great year of DECA for Owatonna is approaching, and the students are excited and ready to go. DECA senior officer, Dawson Ringhofer said, “DECA is a ton of fun and has taught me important things like how to operate inside a business as well as the importance of businesses in our society. I am very excited to see how this year unfolds.” Many of these students will go on to do great things, thanks to the experiences and preparation that DECA has provided.

The first DECA competition is districts, which will be held Friday, Jan. 11, at the Christian Family Church in Owatonna from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Over 350 expected students from various towns across Minnesota including Austin, Faribault, Mankato West and East and Owatonna show up and compete in role plays and other events for a chance to make it to DECA state. At districts, every student is required to compete in at least two individual events and one team event, but many students rise above that and compete in additional events as well. Owatonna usually represents quite well each year at districts and sends a large number of students to compete at the state level. The state competition is held the weekend of March 3 -5 at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Minneapolis, MN. Here, students will compete at a higher level for a chance to attend nationals. Students will stay in a hotel room together and participate all weekend in the events they have qualified for. This is not only an opportunity for students to show off their business related capabilities, but to also meet new people and have loads of fun.