Girls hockey is slashing the competition

Ashwini Monukar

OHS Girls Hockey shakes hands after the game

Carter DeBus, Writer

The Owatonna Girls Hockey team has had a great season so far, winning the majority of their games. While hitting a little bump, they only won one game of the last four heading into the Mankato East game. They made a statement with their 5-3 win against Century and are using it as momentum heading into sections. Coach Sarah Murray said, “With only five games left in the season we are working on fine tuning our systems or improving our skills and making sure the players are rested and healthy going into sections.” The Huskies will head into sections with a goal in mind.

“The girls are currently on their first winning streak of the season with three wins and will be hungry to get their fourth against Red Wing on Thursday.”

— Coach Sarah Murray

The team has had to face many new challenges with being a young team with a new head coach. The players have looked past their youthfulness and have focused on playing the game and winning them. Sophomore captain Grace Wolfe said, “Although we’ve had some tough losses in the Big 9, we are on a good road to sections as well as Big 9 conference champions.” With the team’s high hopes and aspirations of accolades, they are going to have to play well throughout these last few conference games. The Huskies will play seven conference games in two weeks, meaning it is crunch time to pull off a section appearance for girls hockey. The Huskies next game is Thursday, Jan 17 at 7:15 p.m in Red Wing.