Balancing on top

Allison+An+flipping+to+victory+

Serena Omangi

Allison An flipping to victory

Jack Hanson, Writer

Owatonna Gymnastics is flipping back into action. After an incredible season last year the Huskies picked up right where they left off starting the season undefeated and winning the Faribault Invite. The Huskies have never won the Faribault Invite, and this win is even more impressive, as they competed with four other state tournament qualifiers from 2017. The gymnastics team is currently ranked second in the state in Class AA.

The girls are looking to continue and further the success from last year. Senior Sydney Kretlow said, “Since last year we’ve worked hard all offseason getting new skills and perfecting our old ones. Since the start of this season, we have spent a lot of time getting to know each other as a team while pushing each other to be the best we can be.” The girls are looking to build up their team chemistry early in the season to prepare for a long postseason.

The Owatonna Gymnastics team is starting to build a reputation for success and becoming one of the most feared teams in the Big 9. Head coach Tom Smith said, “Anything is possible as long as you believe. Believe in your team, believe in yourself and believe in your coaches. Everything else will take care of itself.”  The team will be home on Thursday, Jan 17 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Rochester John Marshall at Owatonna High School.