Fresh Flicks

January 17, 2019

With 2018 over, the movie industry is just starting to release new spectacular movies. Here are some horror and kids movies to look forward to in 2019.

Horror Movies

Us
Jordan Peele is directing Us, following up his 2017 hit Get Out. It will star Lupita Nyong’o, Elizabeth Moss and Black Panther‘s Winston Duke among others. The trailer gives you chills as the Wilson family fights against scary intruders. When face to face, the family realizes these monsters are themselves: their doppelgängers. The family has to face a fight against their evil selves. Us will be opening on March 15, 2019.

Hellboy
Hellboy is a long-running comic franchise with two previous movies. There was Hellboy, released in 2004 and Hellboy II: The Golden Army, released in 2008. This reboot will be directed by a new director named Neil Marshall. Marshall plans to make this movie darker than the others. It will be a more accurate representation of the comics. David Harbour will be the new Hellboy. The trailer is action-packed with fighting and will be released on April 12, 2019.

It: Chapter Two
Based on the Stephen King thriller, Director Andres Muschietti brings it to life in this film. This movie is a sequel to It, released in 2017. This movie will continue the story of the evil clown now that the kids have grown up. Pennywise the clown returns to Derry, Maine 27 years after haunting the kids. With the loser squad separated living their adult lives, they must come together to defeat the clown-like they did before. This chilling movie will be released Sept. 6, 2019.

Children Movies

Aladdin
Disney is making a live action recreation of the 1992 animated classic, directed by Guy Ritchie. Mena Massoud will play Aladdin, Will Smith will play the genie and Naomi Scott will play Princess Jasmine. This movie is a musical romantic fantasy adventure. Aladdin frees a genie from a lamp and finds his wishes granted. However, evil takes over the lamp. The movie arises the questions: Can Aladdin save Jasmine? Will Jasmine love Aladdin after finding out who he is? To see the new adaptation of this classic go to theatres on May 24, 2019.

Toy Story 4
Directed by Josh Cooley, this movie is the fourth installment in the Toy Story franchise. The movie will star Tim Allen as the voice of Buzz Lightyear and Tom Hanks as the voice of Sheriff Woody. The trailer does not reveal much of the movie, but Pixar stated that Woody has always been confident in taking care of his kids. He loves both Andy and Bonnie, but when Bonnie adds a new toy to the mix a road trip ensues and shows Woody how big the world can be for a toy. Toy Story 4 will be released on June 21, 2019.

The Lion King
Director Jon Favreau takes on a beloved Disney classic. The cast includes Donald Glover, Beyoncé Knowles, Seth Rogen, Chiwetel Ejiofor, James Earl Jones and Alfre Woodard. It is going to be a live action movie that retells the original 1994 story. Simba takes to heart his royal destiny, but his uncle Scar has plans of his own. The battle for Pride Rock has betrayal, tragedy and drama. The Lion King will be released on July 19, 2019.