Slashing into the rest of the season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Slashing into the rest of the season

Teamates talk on the ice

Teamates talk on the ice

Serena Omangi

Teamates talk on the ice

Serena Omangi

Serena Omangi

Teamates talk on the ice

Sol Havelka, Writer

The Owatonna Boys Hockey team is coming out of the winter break on a high note. Over break, the Huskies participated annual Duluth Tournament and took first place for the first time in eight years. The Huskies are now third place in the Big 9.

Senior captain Andrew Munns said, “It was great to be the first team with (coach) Storm to win the tournament, and it was a good get away with the team.” The Huskies are trying to take this built momentum into the second half of their season. Coach Josh Storm said, “I feel the team has done a great job carrying the momentum of a good start by carrying some success into games and practices.” After a close 2-0 loss to Hastings, the team is looking to bounce back against the tough upcoming competition.  Coach Storm also said, “Prior to the Hastings game, the practices have been some of the most intense and focused practices that have been in my eight years here.”

The team is starting to click during practices which transfers to a good coherent team during games. Practicing is how they are trying to generate a more productive and possession-heavy offensive team. Junior goalie Zach Wiese said, “The better our offense is at controlling the puck, the more it helps me in goal. They have started to do a really good job of that and it’s helping the defense, me and our team win.” The Huskies are hoping to keep things rolling into a tough part of their Big 9 conference schedule. With many big games coming up Storm said, “I think the team is on the verge of playing their best hockey of the year so far. We need to continue to improve daily, and our experienced players keep pushing our inexperienced players to elevate their game.” After a huge win against Rochester Mayo, a top team in the Big 9, the Huskies will need to continue to play well as they take on Red Wing at the 4 Seasons Center 7 p.m.

• Slashing into the rest of the season

Sports

Getting into the swing of things

• Slashing into the rest of the season

Sports

Sliding into the season

• Slashing into the rest of the season

Showcase

OHS Boys Tennis swings into season

• Slashing into the rest of the season

Showcase

Shot to the heart

• Slashing into the rest of the season

Showcase

Wellnitz sprints into the track season