Chili for a good cause

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chili for a good cause

Mr. Bill Lawrence speaking with Culinary Club members

Emily Maine

Emily Maine

Emily Maine

Devin Omangi, Writer

OHS Culinary Club is entering the 15th Annual Chili Cook-Off. This is an annual fundraiser organized to raise funds for the Andrew Lawrence Memorial Scholarship fund. Andrew Lawrence passed away in a bike accident in 2003, and his parents wanted to do something in memory of their son to benefit others. The fund was established to receive and invest money for the purpose of providing scholarships to OHS seniors. The fund has given $52,000 in scholarship money to OHS seniors in the past 15 years. The cook-off will feature almost 45 different chili recipes from local chefs and restaurants in Owatonna.

The OHS Culinary club entered the 15th annual Chili Cook-Off because they were looking for a local community event to participate in. Bill Lawrence the father of the late Andrew Lawrence spoke with the Culinary club about the fundraiser. OHS Culinary Club adviser, Ms. Denise Lage, has been advising OHS Culinary Club for eight years. Ms. Lage said, “We took the champion chili recipes from recent foods one class champions, and gave them to culinary club members to do research on what kind of chili to use.” Culinary Club member, Abang Okumu, is in her second year of the club. Okumu said, “I am nervous and excited for it since there is so many competitors participating and there is so much pressure.” The chili must be entered in a red or white category. Guests can sample and vote on their favorite chili.

The cook-off event will be held on Feb. 2, 2019, from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Owatonna National Guard Armory, located at 2323 W Bridge St. Tickets are available at: Kottke Jewelers, Owatonna Shoe, Huntington’s and Knights of Columbus Hall. Tickets are $8 in advance and $10 at the door.

Devin Omangi, Writer

Devin Omangi is a senior at OHS. Omangi plays soccer on the boys varsity team. This is Omangi’s first year on the magnet staff he is joined by his twin...

• Chili for a good cause

Student Life

2019 Snow Week King and Queen crowned

• Chili for a good cause

Starting to walk together

• Chili for a good cause

Opinion

Editorial: Response to Feb. 11, 2019

• Chili for a good cause

Sports

OHS athletes sign on the line

• Chili for a good cause

Sports

Running to the next level