Skate into sections

Back to Article
Back to Article

Skate into sections

Freshman Abby Vetsch skates down the ice

Serena Omangi

Serena Omangi

Serena Omangi

Mason Rhoades, Writer

It has been nothing short of an interesting season for the Owatonna Girls Hockey team. Through a new coach, injuries and challenges, the team is coming out strong and gunning into sections. The team is currently 11-10-3 with wins in five of their last seven games. The Huskies are ranked third in Big Nine. Although seeded sixth in the section, they looking to make a nice push towards the state tournament in the first round of sections.

Through everything the season has thrown at them, the Owatonna Girls Hockey team has persevered through it all with the mindset of teamwork. Senior and leading goal scorer, Maylynn Prokopec said, “Having a team mindset has made us come together as a family and really help to improve each other as individuals and athletes. We are in this together.” Prokopec will attend Bethel University next fall to continue hockey as a Division II  athlete.

We are in this together.”

— Senior Maylynn Prokepec

The players are optimistic about sections. They are ready to face it with their heads held high.  Sophomore captain, Sydney Hunst said, “Our team went through some rough patches, but we were really able to come together and finish the season strong.I am excited to go into sections to show ourselves and others how far we’ve come this year.” The girls are ready, and they have been working and building themselves to get to this point. Ex-Olympic coach and first-year Owatonna coach, Sarah Murray said, “It’s been great working with, developing, and building the girls.”

The Owatonna Girls Hockey team will not be a team to joke around with at sections. They will take on Dodge County in the first round of sections on Wednesday, Feb. 6 at 7:00 p.m. in Kasson.

About the Contributors
Mason Rhoades, Writer

Mason Rhoades is currently a senior at the OHS. Rhoades is athletically involved in football and lacrosse. Within the school Rhoades is the secretary for...

Serena Omangi, Multi-media Editor

Serena Omangi is a senior who is creative minded. Photography and filming videos are her specialty. This is Omangi’s second year in Magnet. She is also...

• Skate into sections

Phones over Yondr

• Skate into sections

Earth Day every day

• Skate into sections

Showcase

Welcoming in the new

• Skate into sections

Community gathers to vote yes

• Skate into sections

Community gathers to vote no