Running to the next level

Athlete Profile: Sydney Kretlow

Sydney+Kretlow++signing+to+division+I+University+of+Minnesota-+Twin+Cities+

Carter Debus

Sydney Kretlow signing to division I University of Minnesota- Twin Cities

Jack Hanson, Writer

Senior Sydney Kretlow has been outstanding in every environment she has encountered in high school, but Kretlow is a one of a kind athlete when it comes to track. Kretlow has been dominating ever since elementary school and is looking to take the next step in her athletic career.

Kretlow is one of the most stand-out athletes in Owatonna history dominating in soccer, gymnastics, and track and field. She is decorated in Owatonna letters, All-Conferences, All-States, and team awards in all three sports. Mix that with her willingness to influence others and help others grow, she has found a role as a captain in all three as well. Owatonna girls head track and field coach, Ann Christensen said, “Syd is one of our captains this year, which attests to her leadership. Syd is such a hard worker and has an amazing attitude, always smiling and always encouraging her teammates. Syd gives full effort in everything she does.”

Kretlow will be furthering her academic and athletic capabilities at the University of Minnesota- Twin Cities. The University of Minnesota -Twin Cities is a Division I  school competing in the Big 10 Conference, one of the more intense conferences in Division I for track. Kretlow said, “I’m super excited to be able to continue my track and academic career at the University of Minnesota. Being a Division I athlete is something I’ve always dreamed of being ever since I was little, and to get to the opportunity to do that at a school that I love makes it even better.”