OHS gymnasts flip back to state for the fourth year in a row

Serena Omangi

OHS Gymnastics is headed to state- again

Kenzie Haberman, Writer

After a season of hard work and determination, the Owatonna Gymnastics Team has done it again. The team has been undefeated all season and they are returning to the state competition after winning their section meet in Farmington on Friday, Feb. 15. The Owatonna Gymnastics Team is ranked second in the state in the 1AA division, just behind Stillwater.

I’m confident we come back state champions.

— Tom Smith

On Feb. 21 OHS celebrated and sent off the team with a pep fest. Coach Smith stated the talent on the team. With Minnesota being one of the nations strongest gymnastics programs this indications a national ranking as well. Head Coach, Tom Smith, said, “I’m confident we come back state champions.” The sections meet was held on Saturday, Feb. 16. The team keeping great confidence and attitude led them to a successful meet. The Huskies took victory over the section by less than a point in front of Northfield. They were granted a spot at state for their fourth consecutive year. Assistant coach, Evan Moe, said, “We had a very good season. We are one of the most consistent teams in the state.” The OHS gymnasts have finished third in their last two years at state. With high expectations, it was a very close meet. Senior captain, Allison An said, “It was a really close meet and we were actually behind Northfield after the first two events. We were able to catch up after beam and our good floor put us in the lead.” Owatonna finished the meet with a 147.025 win.

As a whole, the team will be competing in the Minnesota State Tournament at the Maturi Pavilion at the University of Minnesota campus on Friday, Feb. 22. Additionally, An and sophomore Lindsay Bangs, will be competing after qualifying individually at their sections meet. Both will be competing all-around, An placing second and Bangs first. An also placed first on the floor exercise. The individual event is held the on Saturday, Feb. 23 also at the Maturi Pavilion. It can also be viewed by following this link.