Filed under Showcase, Sports

The pinning pandemonium

Back to Article
Back to Article

The pinning pandemonium

Cade King, Nick Staska, Kanin Hable, and Landen Johnson prepare for state

Carter DeBus

Carter DeBus

Carter DeBus

Freshman Kanin Hable has had an amazing season going 22-11. He made a huge statement last Saturday, pinning Albert Lea’s Nic Cantu in the second period, moving him into state individuals. He is the lightest wrestler to make it to state wrestling in the 120 weight bracket. He will wrestle senior Jared Spohn, who is 34-3 and has been a solid wrestler for Albert Lea the whole year. Hable said, “I’m going to do everything in my power to be successful and finish off the season on a positive note.” After a great season, he plans to cap off his freshman season with a great journey to state.

Freshman Landon Johnson has also had a spectacular season with 39-8. Johnson hit a huge milestone this year getting his 100th win as a freshman. In the section championship match, he made a statement by beating Derrick McMillan with a pinfall in the first period. This is Johnson’s first trip to the state tournament in high school, and he is planning to seize the opportunity and come up big. Johnson said, “I’m going to stick to the game plan and do what I can.” He will face Ryan Luthi from Moorhead who has a similar record of 33-14.

Senior Cade King has had an impressive career with Owatonna, and he has committed to South Dakota State University last July as a junior. He joined an elite group of people with more than 200 wins. He will head to state for the third time. King is a great captain for the young Owatonna team, bringing them to sections and helping Owatonna have a great season. King came in second place by beating his opponent to a forfeit, sending him to state. Cade has lost to only one opponent all year, number one ranked Zach Glazier, who is committed to the University of Iowa. They will likely meet in the championship match at state if there are no upsets. King said, “I’ve been through this before. I just need to stay focused and do what needs to be done to win.” He plans to focus and stick to the plan to have a successful state tournament.

Senior Nick Staska has been an unstoppable force for the OHS Wrestling team. He has been very versatile, wrestling wherever he could to benefit the team the most. Staska can wrestle 195, 220 or even heavyweight for the team depending on where they need him. Staska went 29-11 throughout the season. He is a crucial part of the team. He won the championship match at sections winning 5-2 against Senior Brady Nielsen. Staska will wrestle Lafayette Bade at 195. Bade was 29-7 through the regular season and a solid wrestler for the Elk River team and should put up a fight at state.

UPDATE: On Saturday, Mar. 2 at the Xcel energy center the four individual wrestlers finished their season on a high note. Freshman Kanin Hable got pinned in the first match sending him home empty-handed. Freshman Landon Johnson went 3-3 at state earning him 6th place. Senior Nick Staska ended his senior career with a great 5th place victory at state. Senior Cade King lost in the state championship match to Zach Glazier 1-0, King took home 2nd place.

Carter DeBus, Writer

Carter Jae DeBus is a junior at the OHS. DeBus is involved in the following activities, he plays football, baseball and is involved in DECA. He loves...

• The pinning pandemonium

Studying with apps

• The pinning pandemonium

Skies the limit

• The pinning pandemonium

Excellent Students

• The pinning pandemonium

Footsteps forward

• The pinning pandemonium

Showcase

Exemplary ears