They mean business

Back to Article
Back to Article

They mean business

DECA members that received a medal at the preliminary awards

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Maddie Johnston, Writer

DECA is a business- oriented organization for high school students. Students learn skills such as critical thinking, problem solving, communication, networking, and team decision making in a professional setting.  On March 1-3, 50 students were able to participate in the state conference. DECA students must place in the top eight  of their events at districts to qualify for state. Members competed in a series of rounds each day. Beginning with preliminary rounds and ending with the final round, which would determine if they would progress to nationals. Seven students were able to advance to finals and two groups made the top eight.

Although no competitors from Owatonna qualified for the national conference at the state DECA competition, students will still be attending a national conference. They will be attending a leadership academy because they qualified by doing projects and campaigns. This will be held on April 27- 30 in Orlando,Florida. Pierce said, “I’m most proud that we have always had a good number of students that have gone to the State Conference and everyone gives good effort in what they do.”

Adviser Mr. Scott Pierce said, “One of the best things is that everyone in DECA always says they get something out of it that they can use for their future.” DECA has given valuable memories and lesson to multiple members. Senior, four-year member, and Vice president of communications, David Kellar said, “DECA has taught me a lot about business and has really inspired me to go into business.” The team will head to Orlando in April.

Maddie Johnston, Writer

Maddie Johnston is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year as a staff member for Magnet. Johnston joined Magnet because she heard it...

• They mean business

Studying with apps

• They mean business

Skies the limit

• They mean business

Excellent Students

• They mean business

Footsteps forward

• They mean business

Showcase

Exemplary ears