Jumping into the spotlight

Athlete Profile: Kennan Young

Serena Omangi

Junior Keenan Young running 110 meter hurdles

Solomon Havelka, Writer

Junior Keenan Young is a track superstar. After a very impressive sophomore season, he is looking to take full advantage of his opportunities this upcoming spring. This is Young’s fifth year in track, but he has been running in competitions since he was seven.

“I enjoy football, but hanging out during track and just chilling with the boys is the best.”

— Keenan Young

Young is also on the state championship football team. Young said, “I enjoy football, but hanging out during track and just chilling with the boys is the best.” Young is a hurdler and a long jumper. He participates in 110 meter hurdles, 300 meter hurdles, the 400-meter, as well as the 4×400 meter, 4×200 meter and 4×100 meter relays as team events. Young said, “I like all my events, but hurdles are by far my favorite.” He competed on varsity for hurdles and set the freshman and sophomore record.

Young ran in indoor events, worked hard all winter and during offseason, but is really looking forward to being back outside to hang with his teammates. Young is always looking to improve and help others improve. Teammate and friend, Dalton Wincell said,  “He is a hard worker and always lightens the mood for us.” Everyone on the track team hopes his hard work pays off for him this spring as he has given much time and effort to the sport and people in it.

In the spring of 2019, Young will be competing in his second year of varsity hurdles and relays. After a long winter, he is ready to start the season and looking to set records and push for state. Hurdle coach Douglas Maine said, “His goals are my goals, I know he has high expectations.” Everyone can always find him with a smile on his face and on the track making others just as happy as he is.