Something to marvel at

Back to Article
Back to Article

Something to marvel at

Captain Marvel has made 800 million dollars worldwide since its release. Source: Marvel.com

Press release photo

Press release photo

Press release photo

Dom Nelson, Writer

Captain Marvel is the 21st installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, or the MCU. It is also the first installment with a female lead and has a PG-13 rating. Captain Marvel is played by Brie Larson, an Oscar award-winning actress. The film begins in a somewhat confusing fashion, but it is cleared up rather well throughout the course of the movie.

The movie starts with Captain Marvel, at this point known as “Veers”, waking up from a nightmare that she appears to have quite frequently. The dream consists of her as a pilot, conversing with her commander Wendy Lawson, played by actress Annette Bening. She then gets into combat with her mentor Yon-Rogg, played by actor Jude Law. Later on, Veers and the rest of her crew heads on a mission to rescue a fellow crew member from the Skrulls, a group of shapeshifting aliens. This leads to Veers being captured and later escaping to earth where she uncovers secrets her mentor had always known and kept from her. Not only does she begin to realize more things about herself, but about the people around her as well. On earth, she also runs into Nick Fury, an iconic MCU character played by actor Samuel L. Jackson.

This movie does a good job of unfolding an interesting story revolving around one of the most powerful superheroes in the Marvel comic book universe, Captain Marvel. Regardless of a few cheesy acting moments, it is filled with everything a good superhero movie needs. It contains a likable hero, fresh twists and a nod to Stan Lee, the creator of Marvel. Lee died on Nov. 12, 2018 at age 95.

Captain Marvel is an intriguing piece of cinema that turns into an easily enjoyable film. It leaves the viewer wanting more from the franchise, just as any Marvel movie does, and it fits perfectly into the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Captain Marvel can be enjoyed at Northwoods Cinema 10 in Owatonna now through Mar. 27.

Dom Nelson, Writer and Editor

Dom Nelson is a sophomore at OHS who joined magnet as a freshman last year. He lives off of a steady diet of chicken wings, frozen pizza, and tacos. A...

• Something to marvel at

Shazam is not so magical??

• Something to marvel at

Marching onward to a new season

• Something to marvel at

Ariana Grande embarks on her third tour

• Something to marvel at

Jordan Peele’s marveloUS second film

• Something to marvel at

Not so Dumbo