The magic of human touch

Julia Dallenbach, Writer

Five Feet Apart is the newest budding romance movie in theatres. This movie is sure to pull at the heartstrings of anyone who watches. The movie is based off the tear-jerking book written by Rachael Lippincott. The critics’ consensus on Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie a 54% on the Tomatometer and an 81% audience score. The movie emphasizes the importance of human touch and the significance of living for the now.

The movie has some familiar faces including Cole Sprouse and Moisés Arias. Cole Sprouse is most commonly known for his roles as Cody in The Suite Life of Zach & Cody and Jughead Jones in Riverdale. Moisés Arias found his stardom on Disney Channel as Rico Suave in Hannah Montana. This movie also introduces a newer actress Haley Lu Richardson.

The PG-13 movie runs for a dramatic 120 minutes long. The main character is a seventeen-year-old girl named Stella Grant played by Haley Lu Richardson. Stella is a fun loving girl who loves her best friends and is attached to her routines. She always feels the need to be in control of everything. Stella is fighting Cystic Fibrosis and has spent most of her life in the hospital. Due to all of her time in the hospital, she has made a family there. Her best friend Poe, played by Moisés Arias, is the definition of the perfect friend. Poe loves and supports Stella, while also telling her how it is. Stella and Poe balance each other out and make a comedic duo. During Stella’s stay at the hospital, she meets Will, who is played by Cole Sprouse. Will is a charming but mysterious boy. He also happens to have Cystic Fibrosis, which means that Stella and he must stay 6 feet apart to stay healthy. Will shows no interest in getting better with his treatments, which worries Stella because she wants to be in control. As they talk more the relationship seems to become something more than just friends helping each other out. With the flirtation and temptation, it may be difficult for them to stick to the rules. The question arises: Can Stella and Will fight through their Cystic Fibrosis together while staying 6 feet apart?

This movie has already proven to be quite popular earning 4.5 stars according to Fandango. When asking OHS students what they thought of the movie, there was a variety of responses. Junior Kinsie Davidson said, “I liked it and thought it was a good love story.” Many said that the movie reminded them of The Fault in Our Stars. Junior Ava Sletten said, “It was good, but not that good.” Not all the reviews were good, some people expected it to be more. Sophomore Lainie Rahn said, “You should expect that your outlook on life will change. This movie makes you rethink how your actions affect others.” Five Feet Apart is in theatres now and will be on DVD in June of 2019.