Forever linked

Jack Kleeberger

Senior Magnet staffers Devin and Serena Omangi are fraternal twins and one of the 24 sets at OHS

Jack Kleeberger, Writer

In an effort to shed some light on the challenges that multiple birth parents face, the National Organization of Mothers of Twins inc. has declared the month of April as “National Multiple Birth Awareness Month.” This organization was created to help new parents by partnering with local support groups, health care providers, researchers and educators. It has created easier access and improved relations with new parents. The campaign also encourages local business and nonprofits to raise money for their respective communities, helping new parents financially with everything from cribs to baby formula. This financial aspect plays a key role in aiding parents who have just endured the life-changing moment.

Multiple births in the United States are an increasing occurrence each year, subsequently, the need to educate and help parents is growing. Since 1980, the birth rate for twins has seen a monumental increase of 76%. This can be credited to an increase in fertility treatments throughout the country. According to ProgenyHealth, “Of the 131,000 multiple births annually, over half of twins are born prematurely and at a low birth weight. This number jumps to 90% for triplets or quadruplets.”

Minnesota is home of the Twins and the Owatonna High School is certainly no exception to this. The twin baby boom in Owatonna seems to be growing each year. Collectively, grades 9-12, there are a total of 24 twin sets here at OHS. Although at this age, there is no worry of cribs or formula, being a twin can entail a number of its own unique challenges. Sophomore Alivia Schuster said, “The most annoying thing about being a twin is that you have to share everything with them.” The different social dynamics that twins face in their day to day lives may be hard for the average person to understand, but with the bad comes the good. Sophomore Lanie Schuster, Alivia’s twin, said, “The best part of having a twin sister is that you have a built-in best friend you can do everything with.”

The National Organization of Mothers of Twins inc. has partnered with over 300 local clubs across the United States, boasting 25,000 member families. Those interested can join the organization’s public Facebook group and gain access to more information there. Sophomore fraternal twin set Jeremiah and Tristan Wencl have some experience in working with the organization. The two attended one of the organizations Minnesota conference when they were younger. Tristan said, “ It was a cool event and we got some free stuff.” These national held conferences are open to the public and twins of all ages are welcome to participate.