Getting into the swing of things

Solomon Havelka, Writer

The Owatonna Girls Golf team is coming into the season ready to take on the challenges of their short golf season. After a slower season last year, the team is looking to bounce back.

Each week brings a different and new course that the team will have to get used too. With a great group of returners who have improved and a bunch of young talent that will develop, the team is ready to compete at every meet.

They will be very excited to be able to go head to head with the top teams in the conference this year -like Redwing and Northfield. Sophomore captain Greta Korbel said, “Last season there was no stress or pressure to be very good; we will be much more competitive than last year.” After finishing towards the bottom in the Big 9 last season, the girls are excited to compete against the top schools in the conference. Most of the girls will be back after last year’s development. Everyone is excited to get most of the girls returning, plus more. Korbel said, “It’s very exciting to know we will have a bigger team this season with everyone returning.”

“We are building. Our numbers increased from 6 last year to 18 this year. We’re young and eager to learn. It appears that the girls are trusting the process. They’re finding small ways to improve each day- physically and mentally. Golf is a difficult game and it takes time to improve”

— Tim Hunst

With more girls back and many new girls head coach Tim Hunst said, “We are building. Our numbers increased from 6 last year to 18 this year. We’re young and eager to learn. It appears that the girls are trusting the process. They’re finding small ways to improve each day- physically and mentally. Golf is a difficult game and it takes time to improve.”  

Every girl is ready to improve and adjust to the courses that come along the way. Hunst and the rest of the returning girls are ready to help the young team compete, develop and adjust. Hunst mentioned every player when he asked who he is excited for this year. Hunst said, “Having at least a year of that experience should make this season less of a struggle and significantly more successful, mentally and physically.” He hopes the returns can help push everyone to the next level for the year.

After a slow start in the first two meets and a week off with the snow, the girls are looking to bounce back against Albert Lea on Tuesday, April 23 at the Owatonna Country Club.