Baseball team success

Back to Article
Back to Article

Baseball team success

Nevin Schroeder, Writer

The defending Big Nine Conference champions are back in action. The Owatonna Baseball team is hoping to improve their season with a longer run in the Minnesota Baseball State Tournament. This year’s captains are Jake Miller and Matt Segler and the head coach is Mr.Tate Cummins. Cummins has been the Owatonna Huskies Baseball coach for 12 years.

This year, the Huskies opened the season against Rochester Mayo. The team finished the game with an 11 to 3 win over the Spartans. The Huskies look to face Rochester John Marshall and Mankato West without any weather delays. With the Huskies being Big 9  champs last year, other teams are looking to take their spot.

The Huskies are looking to improve on scoring more runs and keeping the lead to the end. According to the players, there are many things that make baseball special. Junior Ethan Walter said, “It’s fun getting outside when you can, but hanging with the boys is the best. last season playing baseball we scored tons of runs, and we want to keep that going this year, so we need to be more aggressive this year.” The Huskies are sitting with a record of two and one with a lost against Mankato West and will face Northfield and Austin for the next two upcoming games.

The Huskies faced the Raiders, which the game got moved from Northfield to Owatonna. The Huskies beat the Raiders 11 to 3. On Tuesday, April 23 the team played Austin. The Packers are known for playing an intense game, which makes the Huskies eager to win. The Huskies pitched Jon Klecker who went 1 ⅓ innings. The team used five different pitchers. The Packers scored first which made the Huskies shut down with no energy. The seventh inning the Huskies pulled it together and scored four unanswered runs. The Huskies walked off with hit from Matt Seykora which made the score 10 to 9, win over the Packers. The next game is on Thursday, April 25 when they face Rochester Mayo at 4:30 p.m., and a makeup game on Friday against Rochester Century at 5:00 p.m. at home.

Nevin Schroeder, Writer

Nevin Schroeder is a senior at OHS. Schroeder spends most of his free time helping out on his family farm.  Schroeder also loves to ride snowmobile, play...

• Baseball team success

Showcase

Fun filled night of music making

• Baseball team success

Randall resigns from OHS

• Showcase

Owatonna Baseball and Softball

• Baseball team success

School stays on School St.

• News

Multimedia success