Tracking down the competition

Owatonna+Hurdlers+running+the+300+hundred+

Owatonna Hurdlers running the 300 hundred

Solomon Havelka, Writer

After an amazing year, the Owatonna Boys Track team is excited to have new and returning talent. With lots of young players returning this year, the Huskies are looking to keep up their high standard from last year in the conference and the section.

With the Huskies facing many very good teams this year Junior Dalton Wincell said, “The Rochester schools are always really good; we will need lots of people to step up after all the talent we lost.” Stepping up is everyone’s job, from all grades.

The OHS Track team is hoping to stay competitive like they always have had to. The team does not have a specific opponent to watch out for, rather, they are looking forward to Big Nine meets and competitions as a whole. They are getting better and better. With a new young group of talent, Head track coach Kevin Stelter said, “It will be fun to see guys develop and get better towards the end. When they start, they are just little pups, but they develop; guys like Nick Remker, Jack Titchenal, Zach Stransky and even a freshman, Seth Delbridge.” Everyone is excited to start getting into more of a groove this season. Starting off first and second in their first three meets, the Huskies are ready to keep their young talent developing, and the returners pushing them to their best.

One stand out is Kennan Young, Stelter said, “Keenan Young is one kid we will really need to step up; we have high hopes for him.” So far so good for Young, he has taken first and a second in the 300 hurdles, and yes yet to lose in the 110. He also runs in the 4×4 and the team 4×4 has only lost twice this year. Young has a lot of potential and with the rest of the boys on his 4×4 and the rest of the team, everyone is excited

The Huskies next meets will be Tuesday, April 30, in Faribault. It is a very big week for the team, and they will start to really get a feel for the year and for their guys. It will be a very good indicator of how they do in the section, but they aren’t scared and are ready to take the big week and the rest of the year head-on.