School stays on School St.

Luke Kubicek

The bond to build a new high school failed by 120 votes

Luke Kubicek, Writer

The election for the new school referendum was today, May 14. The referendum would fund things like an adequate student, staff and visitor parking, improved safety, security, and up to date technology to support teaching and learning. Community awareness is huge, and the Vote Yes and C.O.P.E. groups have both promoted themselves well over mailing information, social media, posters and public meetings. With all this promotion there was a great voter turnout.

The efforts and concerns of C.O.P.E have prevailed and the bond referendum for a new high school has failed.  The bond failed by 120 votes. The main reason voting no being raised taxes. Tax raises are very hard for everyone to pay and the concern of not being able to pay for these raises may have been enough for people to vote no.

The results caused mixed reactions throughout the school. Senior Ryan Haberman said, “I was pretty happy it didn’t pass, they need to tax it based off income and not property, and then I think it will be more fair for everyone.” Some students were happy while others did not feel the same. Senior Matthew Bueltel said, “I am deeply ashamed in parents in this community for not valuing our future kids educations.”

I was pretty happy it didn’t pass, they need to tax it based off income and not property, and then I think it will be more fair for everyone.

— Ryan Haberman

Since the bond did not pass the school board and superintendent will decide on what to do next. Principal Mark Randall said, “The school board will have to make some decisions on what maybe those next steps will be.” With the next steps being decided soon there will be more on the possibility of another attempt at the referendum, but for now, OHS will stay where it was originally built.