Owatonna Baseball and Softball

May 15, 2019

Owatonna baseball is homerun trotting into sections

The Owatonna Baseball team had a hot start to the season holding onto 4-1. The team has big aspirations to live up to with the prior team being named Big 9 champions. The team lost six senior starters last year that were crucial players on the field and leaders for the younger players. The team has struggled to find their ace pitcher which has forced the Huskies to move guys around through their last few games.

The big thing is finding out the lineup that we are gonna go with in games 21 and 22 through playoffs

— Head coach Tate Cummins

The team has many young infielders requiring the team to move players around to make the finalized decisions on best-fit positions for the team. Junior Matt Williams said, “It’s great that the younger kids are given an opportunity to play, and be given the chance to show coaches what we are capable of.” The team has struggled the past couple weeks with some difficult conference games, along with a long tournament in St. Cloud, but they are keeping their heads high as they are heading into playoffs, striving for better seeding.

The team will hold the important role in polishing up any rough edges so they might continue pushing through strong into sections. Head coach Tate Cummins said, “The second half of the season, we’re gonna try to eliminate some strikeouts. We have had a lot of defensive errors. We are trying to give the kids all the reps they need to play at a high level.” The team plans to work out any kinks found late in the second half of their season. The team’s next game will be Thursday in Albert Lea.

Softball is sliding through the competition

teams in Minnesota. They have a younger team that has been developing and learning how they mesh with each other. The team recently had a huge win over Farmington who is ranked seventh in the state; the win made for a huge boost in morale for the Huskies. Head coach Jeremy Moran said, “Next week is our final week of the regular season and we have three conference games, including a big games against Rochester John Marshall that will impact section seedings.” This up and coming week will play a huge part in where the Huskies sit heading into sections.

Next week is our final week of the regular season and we have 3 conference games, including a big game against Rochester JM that will have an impact on section seedings.

— Head coach Jeremy Moran

The team is 3-4 in the conference putting them in the race to catch a good seeding. Junior captain Kaitlyn Madole said, “We struggle with putting it all together. When our defense is playing good, our offense and batting is off and when our offense is playing good our defense struggles.” The team is trying to come together to play at peak performance. Junior captain Anna Vetsch said, “With our last big win over Farmington, we are hoping to use that momentum and carry it into our up and coming games.” The team is trying to stay focused and head into the next few games with a positive attitude knowing all the teams from here on out have the same goal of winning the section. The teams next home game is on Thursday 4:30 at Morehouse field.

Magnet • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in