Serena Omangi

Ava Wolfe hands off to Zander Johnson in the coed relay

Huskies host Big 9 track meet

May 23, 2019

The 2019 Big 9 track meet will be held in Owatonna this year. The meet will start at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, May 23 and going all day. It will have kids competing from all Big Nine teams, Rochester Century, Rochester John Marshall, Rochester Mayo, Mankato East, Mankato West, Winona, Austin, Red Wing, Northfield, Faribault and Albert Lea. As with track meets, a starter’s pistol will be used and those in the area may hear gunshots.

Due to all the commotion outside the school and in the parking lots, the administration has asked students to not park in the east parking behind the stadium. The administration has asked kids to park at Trinity Lutheran Church for the day as they will have it open for kids in the morning. Additionally, the doors between the AG building and high school will not be open during passing time.

Boys track

The Owatonna Boys Track Team is very excited to host Big 9 track meet this year. All the boys are preparing to face the best within the next two weeks and make a push for state. Head Coach Kevin Stelter said, “We are expecting many top finishes, with the best hurdler in the state in the 300 hurdles with Keenan Young, and our 4×400 relay is 7th fastest in the state so we need them to have a good day also.” Although there are talented athletes, the competition isn’t easy for them. Rochester Century and both Mankato East and West have several top runners, jumpers and throwers in the state. Stelter is not only excited for his runners but for his jumpers and pole vaulter junior Colten Kamholtz, who is looking to hit a personal best and finish strong going into sections. Kamholtz and many other younger teammates get their first go around with the best competition they have seen all year. Stelter said, “We want them to get as much experience as they can so we can know how to do even better next year.” The boys are trying for a top three finish at Big 9 so they can gain momentum for sections. Kamholtz said, “We are all excited for Big 9 and want to see how we compare and hopefully it turns out well so we can also finish and some of us can place in state.” The boys can be found running jumping and throwing all day Thursday, May 23, in Owatonna at the Big 9 track meet.

Girls track

With the end of the year coming, the Owatonna Girls Track team is looking to make a strong finish in the Big 9. There are many strong athletes competing in the Big 9 track meet. Head coach Ann Christenson said, “We are hoping to have one person in each event finish towards the top, it will really help with how we finish in Big 9.” With many girls hoping for their personal best, everyone is hoping the nice weather can help them increase their performance and beat the competition. Many runners have high expectations going into Big 9 and sections. Runners like senior Syd Kretlow, freshman Ava Wolfe and all of the relays are hoping to finish high in Big 9 and sections to qualify for state. The team also has many good jumpers who are peaking in the year. Not to forget about the talented jumpers like sophomore Lindsay bangs in the high jump, junior Kaia Elstad and freshman Hillary Harstad competing in the triple jump. Bangs said, “Every runner and jumper are all really trying to push each other and ourselves to finish out the year strong and getting personal best against the best competition.” With only one week left until state qualifiers everyone is ready for the best of the best in terms of competition.

Magnet • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in