ISD 761 announces new principal

Mr. Kory Kath will take over as head principal at OHS on July 1

photo submitted

Jade Hanson

The OHS is welcoming Mr. Kory Kath for the 2019-2020 school year. Mr. Kath will be filling Mr. Mark Randall’s position as the new Principal at OHS. Mr. Kath was once found roaming the halls at OHS as a Social Studies teacher and the student council advisor from 2000-2012. Serving as a Minnesota State Representative for House District 26A from 2008-2012, he decided a transition back to full-time education as the Assistant Principal at Mankato East High School from 2012- 2014. Before his change over to Owatonna Senior High School, he was the Principal at Eagle Lake Elementary from 2014-2019.

I really just wanna work together as an administrative team, and that our kids are heard, and our teachers are heard. I’m hoping that they will come in with some new ideas.

— Ms. Hollie Jeska

The interviewing process began May, 31, and Mr. Jeff Elstad announced to the staff at on June 5 that Mr. Kath has accepted the position as head principal of Owatonna High School. Communication went throughout the district on June 6. Mr. Elstad in a district press release said, “We are excited for Mr. Kath to join our administrative team as the new principal for the high school. Mr. Kath’s background, experience and connection to the Owatonna community will be a great addition.”  There were five different rounds of interviews the candidates went through. Staff members, principals, and a community member: a parent, were present. There was a total of 14 staff members, who were either approached by the district office, or they themselves had approached administration, in being a part of the panel during the interviewing process. The following Tuesday, June 4, interviews with the administrative cabinet were conducted at the district office. Cabinet members and school board members made the final decision.

Mr. Kath will be joining Ms. Hollie Jeska and Mr. Phil Wiken as the administrative team. Ms. Jeska said, “I really just wanna work together as an administrative team, and that our kids are heard, and our teachers are heard. I’m hoping that they will come in with some new ideas.” Department leadership, which is a group of teachers and administration that are a part of the decisions that are made, are going to be closely looking at where the school is at right now, and what the future goals and plans for students and staff will be. Programs such as Pathways and Academic Support will be continued with the intentions to continue building on exposing students to the ‘real world’ and what they want to do after graduation.

As an Owatonna native, it was an easy choice to come back once I heard there was an opportunity to bring my experience, energy and enthusiasm to the students and staff!

— Mr. Kory Kath

Mr. Kath’s last seven years have been focused on equity-based leadership which helps create greater equity and access for all learners. He is passionate about working with young adults and is looking forward to continuing out the pathways program for students at OHS. Mr. Kath said, “As an Owatonna native, it was an easy choice to come back once I heard there was an opportunity to bring my experience, energy and enthusiasm to the students and staff!” Mr. Kath hopes students and staff will be willing to reach out to him with the intent of connecting and sharing of ideas, and their perspective on how OHS will be portrayed. Mr. Kath is excited to come back to Owatonna and start back up on what drew him into education – high school. He believes in being a strong advocate for students’ voice, and that will be a critical component of how he plans to lead in OHS’s success. Mr. Kath’s employment with Owatonna Public Schools begins on July 1.