Homecoming in support of “Tackle Cancer” charity

Logan Steckelberg, Writer

The OHS Football team will be supporting their community this Friday, Oct. 4 by raising funds for the Randy Shaver Tackle Cancer Fund. The money will be raised by selling T-shirts as well as events that allow students and teachers to donate to the cause. The T-shirts are $15 and many students, teachers and parents have bought them in support of the cause. 

Donations will also be accepted at Friday’s homecoming game, and all proceeds will go straight to the Tackle Cancer Fund. Mrs. Nancy Williams has been a part of running the fundraiser since it came to Owatonna around 2011. Williams said, “Last year, about $4,000 was raised for the cause.” This year, the goal is to raise more money and support the cause. 

Thursday Oct. 2nd during 2nd hour at OHS there will be a Dash for Cash. Students and teachers in each class will donate. Whichever class raises the most will be awarded doughnuts and juice from the Owatonna Football Program. There will also be a dash for cash at the game to raise money and awareness for the cause.

Shaver is a sports journalist for KARE 11. He was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma around 20 years ago and won his battle against the disease. This fight prompted him to start the Tackle Cancer Fund in 2003. Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2018, but beat it for a second time after announcing he was, once again, cancer-free in May 2019.

This will also be homecoming for the Huskies, their toughest game this year because the team hasn’t played West since 2013 and they have some talent. The football game will be held at the OHS football field Friday, Oct. 4 at 7 p.m. vs. Mankato West.