Two OHS runners head to state

Fanta Omot

OHS Varsity Cross Country team gets set at the start line

Logan Gauthier, Writer

After another successful 2019 Cross Country season, Owatonna has much hope for the future with the majority of their core runners returning next year. Owatonna’s Boys and Girls teams finished the season on October 24th at the section meet hosted at the Brooktree Golf Course in Owatonna.

Boys cross country coach Mr. Dave Chatelaine said, “Overall our runners ran one of the best races of the season.” The boys and girls cross country teams finished their year with many personal best. Owatonna has put in countless hours and many miles in order to have a successful year, but all the hard work has clearly paid off. Mr. Dan Leer, coach of the girls cross country team said, “The training we’ve been doing has really paid off, from Big 9 to Sections the majority of the girls have dropped significant time.” Owatonna is happy with the year they have had and sad to say goodbye to their beloved senior leaders. Mr. Leer said, “The seniors have done a great job leading with their years of experience and through their support of the younger runners.”

Although the season is over for the majority of the team, two Owatonna runners have made it to the state meet. Owatonna runners sophomore Preston Meier and eighth grader Carsyn Brady will be running in the state Cross Country meet, which will be held on Nov. 2 at St. Olaf college. At the beginning of the year, both runners had high expectations to make it to the state meet. Brady said, “State was definitely a goal of mine especially after missing it by one spot last year.” With four more years, Brady has tons of potential. Brady is the first girl in 13 years to make it to state, and the second in Mr. Leer’s time as head coach at Owatonna. Brady said, “It’s an honor to represent the girls cross country team, as we have all worked so hard this year.”

Meier is the first OHS Boys Cross Country runner since 2016 to make it to state. Meier has worked hard all summer and his humble mentality is key to the Huskies. Meier said, “It’s surreal’ it feels amazing to represent the boys cross country team.” Owatonna’s future of cross country is very bright, and the OHS students and staff are wishing the best of luck for both Carsyn and Preston at the state meet.