NHS Hosts Blood Drive

Poster for NHS blood drive. Photo by Tyler Harris

Tyler Harris, Writer

The National Honor Society is a big achievement to be a part of. NHS is involved in many things around the community of Owatonna. They are in charge of the blood drive held at the Owatonna Senior High School, in which they partner with Red Cross to come up with a goal of how many units of blood are collected. Outside of school-related events, NHS also does some volunteering around the community. Students who are involved in the program are required to volunteer for twenty hours a semester. This may include church or community events like Sunday School, Feed My Starving Children, or helping out with sports camps.

Kaia Elstad is a senior at OHS and is involved in many sports and school activities, one of which is being the student president for NHS. Elstad says, “ I am in charge of leading meetings with Mrs. Tratz and going over what needs to get done with our activities that are planned.” Elstad will also be featured in a speech given at the inauguration this fall. 

In addition to being an English teacher at OHS, Mrs. Gail Tratz is also the adviser for NHS. Mrs. Tratz says, “My job is to work with the officers to run the meetings, help facilitate volunteer activities and to work with the Lions Club and culinary club. I also plan the Induction for the program which has been moved to this fall on Nov. 1.”  

With the inauguration coming up, some people may wonder what the requirements for NHS are. These requirements include a 3.5 GPA going into your senior year, or a 3.7 GPA going into your junior year. Students will also have to fill out an application that shows their areas of leadership, scholarship, character and service. These applications will then be reviewed by five staff members to decide who will be inducted into the program. That being said, the National Honor Society will be inducting six new members on Nov. 1.