Owatonna Bowling claims conference championship

Photo Submitted

OHS Bowling team with their trophies

Sam Henson, Writer

The OHS Bowling team finished the regular season with a winning record of 12-2; however, they lost the tie-breaker in the regular season, and conference title to St.Peter. Owatonna bounced back during the South Central Conference tournament and captured the tournament conference championship. Junior Alexis Smith said, “It felt pretty good because we worked really hard for it and bowled well and beat the number one team in the conference.”

The team faced Faribault in the semifinal match, winning 385-353, and proceeded on to battle St. Peter in the championship match and won 468-421. Four Huskies were named All-Conference including seniors Blake Grunzke, Caden Reichel and Junior Garret Laplount, earning first-team honors while Freshman Nic Hill was named third-team All-Conference. Those four will bowl in the All-Conference state tournament on Saturday, Nov. 30. La Plount, Reichel and Grunzke will also be competing in the MHSB state single bowling tournament on Saturday, Dec. 14. La Plount was also named to the All-State team, as he was ranked in the top 15 in the state.

OHS will compete again on Nov. 23rd at the class AA south regional as part of a 20 team field. If the Huskies place within the Top 12, they will advance to the state tournament on Dec. 7.