The end of a saga

Logan McGaheran, Writer

Star Wars: Episode IX-The Rise of Skywalker is directed J.J. Abrams. This film is the end of the Skywalker era in the Star Wars universe. Episode IX begins with Kylo Ren finding the hideaway where Emperor Palpatine has been in since the events of Return of the Jedi. While this is happening, Poe and Finn are on a mission, and Rey is training to fight the First Order. Kylo Ren makes a deal with Palpatine to help him conquer the galaxy, so Rey, Finn, Poe, C-3PO, Chewbacca, and BB-8 go on a mission to stop Palpatine and Kylo Ren. Throughout the mission, Rey starts to discover her past.

Despite the mixed reviews, Episode IX is an amazing movie and is one of the best movies in the trilogy, maybe even the series. Abrams did an excellent job wrapping up the Skywalker saga and creating a movie that any Star Wars fan could love. The negatives are that the plot jumps around a lot and the ending is underwhelming; otherwise, it was an incredible movie and deserves a watch.

Most teens seemed to like the newest movie. Sophomore Gavin Osland said, “I didn’t like some of the twists and turns, they could do some things better, but overall it was a good movie.” Some people who have seen the movie think that it does not match the quality of the original three movies. Senior Evan Huemoeller also said, “I think it’s a great movie, but it doesn’t get to the point of the original trilogy. Besides that, I think that it’s a very good film.”

As of Jan. 2, 2020, Episode IX made $391 million in the domestic box office and $775 million internationally. For its reviews, Episode IX received a 6.9/10 by IMDb, a 54% by Metacritic, and a 54% by Rotten Tomatoes. Showtimes for Episode IX can be found here.