Ugly sweater dance

Bella Anderson

Students get to proudly show off their ugly sweaters

Bella Anderson, Writer

The Owatonna High School Cash Drive is fast approaching, which means the highly-anticipated Ugly Sweater Dance is just around the corner. With the holidays coming up, this dance is the perfect opportunity to dress festive and participate in some holiday fun, while brightening the holidays for children in need. Students are encouraged to wear ugly or festive holiday sweaters for the dance.

This year, the cash drive fundraiser recipient is Toys for Tots. This charity provides toys for less fortunate children over the holiday season. According to ToysforTots.com, 97 percent of donations go to the mission of providing toys, books and gifts to children. Students all over OHS are excited for the upcoming dance. Sophomore Max Guenther said, “I’m excited to wear my cat sweater; the dance is a great tradition and should be kept here.”

While participating in a fun dance, students can also donate to the cash drive charity by simply showing up and paying admission. Student council advisor Ms. Sandra Justice said, “It’s a really fun dance and all proceeds from the dance go towards the total of the cash drive.” This dance is just a small part of what student council does for the cash drive. Student council members help decorate and plan the dance as well as many other activities that week. This year, the dance is from 9 p.m. to midnight on Friday, Dec. 13 in the commons at OHS For admission into the dance, students are asked to bring their school ID and either pay $5 or bring an unused toy as a donation.