Christmas Song and Movie Series Holiday Madness

OHS is doing a movie bracket. Voting will start next week

Kaden Nelson, Writer

On Tuesday, Nov. 26, the day before Thanksgiving break, a survey was sent out to all OHS students asking them,’What is their favorite Christmas Movie?’ As well as, ‘What is their favorite Christmas song? Our staff received 101 answers.  Some of the top responses for movies given were How the Grinch Stole Christmas series of movies, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, The Polar Express, Home Alone, and The Santa Clause series. For the favorite Christmas songs, students said “Santa Tell Me” by Ariana Grande, “Mistletoe” by Justin Bieber, “All I Want for Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey, and “The Very First Christmas” from Spongebob Squarepants. Seeding is based off the number of votes for each song/movie. The movie and song that got the most votes was the one seed and on down.

Movie Brackets 

Here are the top five movies OHS students had voted on. How the Grinch Stole Christmas first aired on television in 1966. The animated movie was adapted from a Dr. Seuss book and was an instant classic. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation is a comedy that was released in 1989. The Polar Express is based on a 1985 children’s book that was released in 2004 about a young boy that rides a train to the North Pole to visit Santa. Home Alone is also a Christmas comedy about a young boy who was left alone at home while his family went on vacation. Home Alone was released in 1990. The Santa Clause series contains three different movies. The Santa Clause released in 1994, its sequel was released in 2002, and the third installment was released in 2006. 

OHS Magnet is doing a bracket for Christmas music

Song Brackets

The song “Santa Tell Me” by Ariana Grande was released in 2014. Five years later, it is the top Christmas song voted by the OHS student body Another top song students voted for was “Mistletoe” by Justin Bieber which was released in 2011. “All I Want for Christmas Is You” was a hit written and recorded by Mariah Carey and released in 1994. “The Very First Christmas” is a song from the popular kids TV show Spongebob Squarepants released in 2005. 

How it works

In the next weeks before Christmas break, students will get the opportunity to vote for their favorite Christmas songs and movie. A google form will be sent out to students’ emails to fill out. There is a bracket made, there will be four rounds within the bracket, single elimination. Anyone can help their favorite movie or song win. Check ohsmagnet.com to see the results