Girls basketball ready to rebound

Logan Gauthier, Writer

The Owatonna Girls Basketball team is off to a solid start, currently sitting 2-2 for their season. After a 0-2 start with losses to Mankato West and Northfield, girls basketball has quickly rebounded with two straight wins over Rochester Century and Mankato East. 

The youthful Huskies have just one senior on the team. Senior captain Sara Anderson has seen plenty of varsity experience, playing varsity basketball since her sophomore year. Anderson said,  “The whole team is always positive no matter what the outcome is, we love playing the game together as a team.”

With four juniors and 11 underclassmen on the roster, head coach Lindsey Hugstad-Vaa knows that team chemistry is very important. In her fourth year as head coach, Hugstad-Vaa has seen a lot of early success. Coach Hugstad-Vaa said, “Overall our conference is very young, the girls have played together for years growing up and will continue to become more confident each game.”

Overall our conference is very young, the girls have played together for years growing up and will continue to become more confident each game.

— Coach Hugstad-Vaa

Owatonna with the young talent on the roster are looking to grow throughout the season and make a section push. One of the major pieces of the team is junior captain Maggie Newhouse. She said, “Each game we see our strengths and weaknesses as a team and continue to work on them each day.” Owatonna is looking forward to staying on track with two straight wins and continuing to improve each game. Owatonna will be back in action on Friday, Dec. 13 at home against the Albert Lea Tigers at 7:30 p.m.