Here we come a-caroling

OHS+Carolers+preforming+at+the+Toys+for+Tots+concert.+

Bella Anderson

OHS Carolers preforming at the Toys for Tots concert.

Bella Anderson, Writer

‘Tis the season for the annual OHS Winter Concert. Every year, the auditorium is packed with people waiting to hear the talented voices of OHS students. There has been a winter concert at OHS for almost as long as the school has been running. The concert has become a major part of the holidays for the community, as well as a chance for students to show off their skills. The concert this year is at 7 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 16. 

The OHS Carolers are one of the most popular student-led music groups throughout the community. Carolers have been a part of OHS since 1938. Every year since then, they have spread holiday cheer throughout Owatonna. Senior caroler Viviana Cantu said, “I think we as a group work together to shine holiday joy into the community.” 

This is my favorite concert of the year, I love coming and listening to the carolers

— Nataly Hurtado

The carolers travel to local businesses, schools and nursing homes singing classic Christmas carols delivered with a smile. Junior Nataly Hurtado, said, “This is my favorite concert of the year, I love coming and listening to the carolers.” This year is no exception with Symphony Orchestra, Carolers and Concert Choir performing, it is a much-anticipated concert. 

Rumor has it that this is the 80th year of the caroler program here at OHS, they have become a staple in celebrating the holidays in Owatonna. Carlorer and choir director Mr. Chris Harris said, “I think it’s nice for people to know that there is still a group out there that harkens back to a simpler time.” Mr. Harris has been the advisor for the Carlorers since he began teaching at OHS about 17 years ago. He plans the schedule and transportation, as well as overseeing auditions. 

The OHS Carolers will be performing at all the local schools around Owatonna on December 20. The OHS Carolers have scheduled 79 appearances this year, over the span of 11 days in December.