Hitting the ice

Tyler Harris

The Owatonna Boys Hockey team celebrates a goal against Rochester John Marshall

Tyler Harris, Writer

On Nov. 30, the Owatonna Boys Hockey Team faced off in their first game this season against the Apple Valley Eagles. Owatonna ended up losing the game 4-1. Since then, the boys quickly turned their mindsets around and went on to beat a red hot South St. Paul team, who just so happened to come off a win over the Apple Valley Eagles. Following the team’s first loss, they have now gone on to win their last six games, putting them at a current record of 6-1. Head coach Josh Storm has been coaching the boys hockey team for nine seasons now. Storm said, “Our goal this season isn’t about winning sections. It’s about constantly getting better every game and just playing our best hockey. We also have such unbelievable kids on this team and they have such a passion for hockey. They always hold themselves accountable for how they end the season, and it’s great to see them learn and grow throughout the year.” 

The team has seemed to adapt well despite losing a handful of seniors. This year the team has only three seniors, one of which is senior captain Collin Pederson. Pederson has been on the team since his sophomore year and has been playing the sport of hockey since the age of five. Pederson said, “We have a lot of young talent on the team and they have stepped up, and have been playing a big role in our team’s lineup. We all seem to move the puck really well and just get the job done.” The Owatonna Boys Hockey team’s next home game will be held on Jan. 6 at 7 p.m. against Rochester Century at the Four Seasons Center.