Life in the fast lane

Ellie Youngquist

The OHS Boys swim team take a tough losses but there hoping on winning the St. Paul meet

Fanta Omot, Writer

The Owatonna Boys Swim and Dive Team are having an honorable season so far with a lot of newcomers. The season is going fairly well with a couple tough loses to Mankato West and Austin, but overall times are improving greatly.

So far in the season, the team is showing that they are not just here to compete, they are here to win.  Assistant coach Tara Lammer says, “The last five years, we had about 25 guys, but this year we have 36.” Sophomore Evan Fosness has shown improvement in the 100 meter freestyle. Other swimmers like freshman Ryan Peterson, juniors Caleb Belting and Fletcher Schulz, along with seniors Colten Kamholz and Logan Steckelberg have been improving every meet. Kamholz said, “We’re getting a lot more personal best every meet, and were working as a team.” The team has been working hard, not just in the pool but in the weight room. The team has been lifting more and it’s helping them improve every meet. Right now, their current record is 1-3 but they are hoping on winning the St. Paul meet on Jan. 11. Belting said, “We have a lot more people so we’re stronger than last year.”

Overall, the swim and dive team have made great strides towards reaching their goals, they cannot wait to see what plays out towards the end of the season. The next home meet is Thursday, Jan. 16 at 6 p.m. at the Owatonna Middle School pool.