Deciding on Disney+

Graphic by Parker Erickson and Marcus Andrist

The Star Wars saga is a very popular watch amongst OHS students

Logan McGaheran, Writer

Ever since its release in November 2019, Disney’s streaming service, Disney+, has been a massive sensation. Many different social media platforms have welcomed Disney+ with open arms, making it a viral “marvel” that even people who are not subscribed to the service are talking about. Despite the popularity surrounding Disney+, some people are still skeptical about subscribing to the service.

What is Disney+?

Disney+ is a streaming service that hosts movies and TV shows that are owned by Disney, from the Walt Disney cartoon movies to Marvel’s The Avengers, as well as The Suite Life of Zack and Cody to Phineas and Ferb. It also has original series’ made just for Disney+, like The Mandalorian and High School Musical: The Musical: The Series.

Is Disney+ worth buying?

Disney+ costs $7 a month, or $70 a year, compared to Netflix’s most popular package, which costs $13 a month, and HBONow, which costs $15 a month, it seems like a cheap alternative to other streaming services. There is also an upgraded bundle that includes ESPN+ and Hulu that costs $13 a month.

With lots of nostalgic content, Disney+ sufficiently appeals to teens. Most high schoolers think that Disney+ is a great service, but paying for it is an obstacle for them. There are some ways for students to use Disney+ without paying, such as owning a special phone plan by Verizon. Senior Phillip Koslosky said, “I personally wouldn’t get it if I was paying monthly, but I get it with my phone plan for free for a year.” The public’s opinion is that Disney+ is a great streaming service and is a worthy competitor to other streaming services on the market.

How has Disney+ affected its competitors?

Most people think that when Disney+ released, its competitors were losing business, but what actually happened was the exact opposite. When Disney+ was released, Netflix, a major competitor to the service, was prospering along with Disney, doing its best since July of 2019.

Surprisingly, Disney has not been doing well since the release of Disney+, with only a spike during the first few days but going down afterward.

Despite their economic adversity, people are using Disney+ more often than other streaming services. Sophomore Leah Welker said, “I still use Netflix a little bit, but not as much as I use Disney+.” Although most Disney+ users do not use other streaming services as often anymore, some use them just as much as they have in the past. Sophomore Audrey Simon said, “I still use other services the same. There’s different varieties on other services that’s just not Disney.” It is hard to tell if Disney+ will be a success or a flop, but it will be a long-lasting competitor in the streaming age.