Owatonna Dance team kicking off the new year

Photo Submitted

Owatonna Dance team taking second place at the Rochester Century invitational

Logan Gauthier, Writer

In the program’s third year at Owatonna, the Dance team is off to a fast start. The team has over 40 girls on the roster. Owatonna has had three competitions and a halftime performance at the boys basketball game on Friday, Dec. 20. In their first competition of the year, the team placed second in varsity kick at the Cannon Falls Invite. 

With many upper classmen on the team, leadership is not an issue. Senior captain Elise Sande said, “We have grown so much as a team over the season and continue to get better with each competition”. In the last two competitions, the girls dance team has finished top three varsity kick and varsity jazz. Head coach Victoria Johnson said, “Our score sheets are higher than where we ended last year and continue to rise each competition.” With two competitions left before sections, the Huskies are looking to continue to improve each week. Coach Johnson said, “Our main goal for sections is to have healthy athletes and to receive our highest scores of the year.”

Our main goal for sections is to have healthy athletes and to receive our highest scores of the year.

— Coach Johnson

On Monday, Jan. 27 at 7 p.m. at the OHS gymnasium, the dance team is hosting their community show. This would be a perfect night to come watch their performance and to support the team. Sande said, “The community show not only showcases the dance teams routine, but also other dances in Owatonna as well.”

Sections will be held on Saturday, Feb. 8 at Bloomington Kennedy High School.