Dance team at a glimpse

Dance team preforming at the community show.

Mariah Schroht, Writer

The Owatonna Dance Team is nearing the end of their remarkable season. The team started off very strong at their first competition in Cannon Falls. They’ve been working extra hard this season to get better each competition. They have had a great season placing at most competitions and placing in the top five at Big 9. The team is made up of lots of upperclassmen, and the team dynamic has been great. This year’s team is led by senior captains: Elise Sande, Adrian Bruer, Kinsie Davison, and junior captain Brianna Bailey. 

Head coach, Victoria Johnson, is in her third year of coaching the team. Johnson said, “The season is going well, we headed out strong going into Cannon Falls. Our goal was to have higher score sheets than what we ended with last season, which we were able to accomplish. Moving forward into winter, we had a few obstacles to overcome with injuries, and sicknesses.” Last weekend, the girls took the floor placing very well in Varsity jazz. Johnson said, “New Prague went well and we had our highest score sheets in kick and jazz. Sections are coming up shortly, we are in a very tough section, but are hoping to get the best score sheets of the year”. 

Last Monday, Feb. 27, the team had their annual community show, featuring their dances and other dance studios of the community. The team had a lot of fun showcasing their dancing and also doing a partner dance. Davison said, “This season has been a lot of fun and as a team, we have grown a lot. The community show was filled with people, and it was fun to perform for the community. It’s cool to see how much better we have gotten compared to the last few years. I am excited to go into sections and raise our scores”. 

The team takes the floor for sections on Saturday, Feb. 8 at Bloomington Kennedy High School.