When the signature is signed

OHS 2020 collegiate athletes signing letter of intent

National Signing Day is important for many student-athletes’ lives because this is the next step before moving into a new sports program and continuing their athletic and academic careers. There are eight OHS students signing to Division I, Division II, and Division III schools in three different states. This is a big step towards the future for some of the most gifted athletes at OHS. Today is one of the biggest days for any student-athlete because it is the final step in venturing into the next level of collegiate sports.

Carter Debus
Ethan Rohman has previously signed his letter of intent to Drake University

Ethan Rohman has previously signed his letter of intent to Drake University to play football at the Divison I level in the Pioneer Football League. He will be pursuing a Physics major while attending college. The decision to play Division I Football is a large one. Rohman said, “The dedication from the coaches and their winning mindset is what made the college stand out, and the facilities offered are so much greater than any midwest college.” Rohman stood out on the football field for being a dominant two-way player for the Huskies and was always someone his teammate could count on. Head football coach Jeff Williams said, “Drake is going to give him a great education in physics, and it’s an FCS Division I school, which is a great opportunity for him to play.” Rohman is not only a star on the field but a gifted student in the classroom, being the top student in his class.

Carter DeBus
Asia Buryska will be signing her letter of intent to Bemidji State University

Asia Buryska will be signing her letter of intent to Bemidji State University to play soccer at the Division II level in the NSIC. She will be attending college with her major still being undecided. Soccer was not the only spot Buryska participated in while at OHS, but the decision to pursue it in college was an easy one. Buryska said, “I’ve always known that I was going to play soccer in college, it was just a matter of where. I’m excited to be part of a program and to be playing soccer at a high level.” Buryska had a huge impact on the Huskies’ Big 9 title, being one of the team’s leading scorers. Head coach Nate Gendron said, “Asia is a playmaker. Asia demands the ball at her feet and takes great control of the game.” Asia was recognized by her peers and was named captain through her senior season and was an important leader the team could lean on.

Carter DeBus
Sara Anderson will be signing her letter of intent to Winona State University

Sara Anderson will be signing her letter of intent to Winona State University to play Tennis at the Division II level in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference. She will be pursuing a nursing major while attending college. Anderson said, “I’m excited to be a college athlete because not many people get to go to college and continue to do something they love.” Anderson’s senior year was filled with success and leadership after her success playing number singles and being named captain for her team. Head coach Curt Matejcek said, “Sara is one of the most gifted athletes I have coached. She is a talented three-sport athlete whose game will continue to improve in college as well.” Anderson was recognized by her coaches playing number one singles and having a spectacular senior season.

Carter DeBus
Gabriela Breuer will be signing her letter of intent to the University of Wisconsin River Falls

Gabriela Breuer will be signing her letter of intent to the University of Wisconsin River Falls to play Soccer at the Division III level in the WIAC. She will be pursuing a major in Pre-Law while attending college. Breuer is very excited to continue her soccer career beyond high school. She said, “I’m excited to meet new people and play a sport at a new level with new opportunities and different experiences at college.” Breuer had a terrific senior season for the Huskies and was a crucial piece of the Huskies’ puzzle, especially in their offensive scheme. Head coach Nate Gendron said, “Ela is a great competitor. She can play any position and uses her aggressive play style to win any ball.” Ela has tremendous ball skills and was quite the tool for Huskies, doing everything she was asked to do.

Carter DeBus
Evan Huemoeller will be signing his letter of intent to St. Mary’s University

Evan Huemoeller will be signing his letter of intent to St. Mary’s University to play Tennis at the Division III level in the MIAC.  He is still undecided with what major he is going to pursue at St. Mary’s University. Huemoeller is very much looking forward to college tennis. He said, “I’m super excited, I love the team, the coaches and the school. I saw the potential and decided that St Mary’s is the place I want to be.” Huemoeller was the number one singles player for the Huskies throughout his junior year and has been preparing for a spectacular senior year. Head coach Curt Matejcek said, “Evan has dedicated a tremendous amount of time and effort into taking his game to the next level.” Huemoeller has made quite the name for himself as a junior, and he plans to keep that momentum heading into his senior season.

Carter DeBus
Emilee Zirngible will be signing her letter of intent to the University of Wisconsin- Stout

Emilee Zirngible will be signing her letter of intent to the University of Wisconsin- Stout to play Soccer at the Division III level in the WIAC. She will be pursuing a major in Psychology while attending college.  Zirngible said, “I’m looking forward to continuing playing a sport I have been playing my entire life.” Zirngible had a tremendous career in the net and an incredible senior year. She stepped up and helped the Huskies win the Big 9 title. Head coach Nate Gendron said, “Emilee is always focused on bettering her game. Each year she has improved her skill level, and I see her continuing to improve at the college level as well.” Zringible was a standout goalie for the  Huskies and found great success through practice, leaving everything on the field through her senior season.

Ethan Stockwell will be signing his letter of intent to the Milwaukee School of Engineering

Ethan Stockwell will be signing his letter of intent to the Milwaukee School of Engineering to play Lacrosse at the Division III level in the Northern Athletic Conference. He will be pursuing a major in Mechanical Engineering while attending college. Stockwell is looking forward to his career at the collegiate level. He said, “I’m so eager for this season. The season is going to be focused around the unity of the team and hard work; that’s what excited me.” Stockwell had a tremendous junior year for the Huskies playing long stick middle and has been named one of the captains for the 2020 season. Head coach Seykora said, “He’s an extremely hard worker and always looking for ways to improve his game and spread his knowledge of the game”. Stockwell will be transitioning from defense to long-stick middie for the Huskies being the dynamic person for the team.

Carter DeBus
Carson Dekam will be signing his letter of intent to Gustavus Adolphus College

Carson Dekam will be signing his letter of intent to Gustavus Adolphus College to play football at the Division III level while competing in the MIAC. He will be pursuing a major in Computer Science while attending college. When asked why he chose Gustavus DeKam said, “Gustavus really stood out to me because of the people there, and the level of academics. They are a highly rated school for academics and that was my first priority. Football was second for me.” Carson has achieved many athletic and academic honors throughout his four years at Owatonna and has stood out as a great athlete that would fit in well at the collegiate level. Head football coach Jeff Williams said, “Carson is a nice tall, good looking tight end linebacker type that caught their eye. It’s cool to see him land at a place that’s really academically strong but also a good fit for his football skills. ” DeKam has a unique skill set that makes him very versatile on the football field and a strong candidate for any collegiate team.