OHS gymnastics sends three to state

Mariah Schroht

Lindsay Bangs, Halle Thies, and Lucy Macius all three will be going to state for individuals

Mariah Schroht, Writer

The OHS Gymnastics team has had an enjoyable season. Recently, there were two big competitions: Big 9 and sections. Coming off of an incredible year, the team came into the season with high expectations. The team was excited about this year’s Stick It to Cancer event. This year’s honoree was Nova Maas, and they were able to raise over $2,000 for her.

For each meet, they compete in four events- uneven bars, beam, vault, and floor. The Huskies never fail to succeed on the floor. The team has had their fair share of ups and downs with a very young team, injuries and illnesses. This year’s team is led by junior captains Lindsay Bangs and Lucy Macius. These two gymnasts have been scoring high for the team as well.

At Big 9, the Huskies took to the mats at Faribault and finished first. Bangs had an impressive night, winning bars, floor and all around. Many other girls on the team placed in the top 10 including Macius, seventh-grader Halle Theis, freshman Kaitlyn Cobban, and freshman Chyenne Petersen. Bangs said, “Big 9 was one of our biggest meets and as a team, we did very well. With a loss earlier in the season to Mankato West, it was good to avenge ourselves.”

As a team, they placed second at sections. Unfortunately, they were edged out by Northfield for the first place spot. This was a surprise to the Huskies as they have made it to state the past few years. They had a 146.8 at section this year, which was better than their last year’s section score. 

Heading onto state

The Huskies will be sending three girls to the Minnesota State Tournament for individuals this year. The girls have been working extra hard this week perfecting their routines and getting them to look the best. Lindsay Bangs, Lucy Macius, and Halle Theis all will be taking the state floor this weekend. 

This will be Evan Moe’s first year as head coach at state. Moe said, “We started the season off pretty rough with injuries. We had to work back to make sure we got all five routines on each event solid. We have three going to state this year: Lindsay Bangs, Lucy Macius, Halle Theis.” The girls are looking forward to the weekend and finishing out their season strong.

For the fifth year in a row to state, Bangs is going for all around. Bangs is excited to compete this weekend and said, “I am very excited for this weekend. The competition is really good and pushes me to do my best. I would hopefully like to come home with something.” Last year, she had an incredible season, placing second on beam. Moe said, “Lindsay is going for all around and has a pretty good shot at winning the whole meet, as long as she doesn’t fall. She’s been struggling on beam a bit, but other than that, she is looking solid.”  

This is Macius’ fourth trip to state and will be competing on beam and vault. Macius came into the season with a concussion but has worked her way up from there. She said, “I am going to state this year for beam and vault. I think I have a better chance of placing on beam.” Macius does not have many nerves coming into this weekend and is hopeful to place. Moe said, “Lucy is going for beam and vault. She has a good shot of being on the podium for beam if she stays nice and clean.”

Theis is taking the state floor for the first time. She said, “I’m both excited and nervous. I will be doing a pike souk on vault.” Theis is a seventh-grader and is excited to take on the floor and compete at this level. Moe said, “Halle is on vault and being so young and not quite as developed in her ability to pull that super round, she probably will be hard to get on the podium, but if she does, that would be a pretty big accomplishment for being a seventh-grader.” 

The girls take the floor on Saturday, Feb. 22 at Roy Wilkins Auditorium in St. Paul.