Leading on and off the field

Athlete Profile: Kaitlyn Madole

photo submitted

Kaitlyn Madole fielding a ground ball at third base to throw to first

Logan Gauthier, Writer

Senior Kaitlyn Madole has had an excellent career at Owatonna High School, not only as an athlete, but also in the classroom. Madole was voted as a two-time captain in volleyball, as well as being voted captain of the softball team her junior year and likely again this upcoming season. Some honors that Madole has been recognized for include: Most Valuable Player of the volleyball team, Applebee’s Player of the Week and All-conference for her fantastic play on the volleyball court, voted on by her coaches. 

Madole’s teammates and coaches always knew of her skill and leadership qualities from a young age. Senior teammate Anna Vetsch said, “She has a great work ethic and is always willing to step up and be a leader. I know she will do great things at the college level.” Madole has a great sense of leadership and always looks forward to helping out her younger teammates become not only better athletes, but also better people.

Madole is now beginning her third year as a varsity starter for the girls softball team. From the beginning of her varsity career, she has been a very reliable bat in the lineup and pitcher for the Huskies. Madole said, “My favorite part about softball is the challenge that comes within the game. It’s always great to see the amount of work I put in during the off-season, be rewarded on the field. I also love the friendships that are built while being a part of a team.” Madole plans on attending the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire next fall, where she will try out for the softball team.

One of the many major influences on Madole’s life is volleyball coach Tai Tolle. Madole said, “She pushes me on and off the court to be the best person I can be, I can’t thank her enough.” Being a four-time letter winner for the girls volleyball team, Madole will be greatly missed. Tolle said, “Her legacy and lasting impact goes far beyond the court. She gave her all 100 percent of the time with no complaints and always encouraged others to do their best.”

Her legacy and lasting impact goes far beyond the court. She gave her all 100 percent of the time with no complaints and always encouraged others to do their best.

— Coach Tolle

Outside of sports, Madole excels in the classroom, having made the A-honor roll all four years. She is also involved in many activities such as National Honor Society and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Madole said, “Big Brothers Big Sisters is amazing. I love going to see my little brother every week. Every time I walk into that classroom he gets so excited I can’t help but smile. Not only have I been there to support him over the last two years, but he has done the same for me. He has taught me so much and I am grateful to have him in my life.” Madole’s passion and leadership skills can be seen all over Owatonna. Head softball coach Jeremy Moran said, “She has a team-first mentality and is always willing to take on the role her team needs without hesitation.” 

Madole will be playing third base and pitching this season for the Huskies softball team.