The Way Back is comeback for Ben Affleck

Jack Kleeberger, Writer

The Way Back is filled with action and seething hostility that explodes into rage. When the story begins, Jack Cunningham (Ben Affleck) is a construction worker in the Los Angeles area, boozing furtively on the job and compulsively at night in a neighborhood bar. That is the whole of his existence, a solitary one that is destined to remain so until a call comes from his alma mater, a local parochial school. As a student in the 1990’s, Cunningham was a basketball star with a college scholarship and a bright future. Now the school wants him to take over for the team’s current coach who has been sidelined by a heart attack. As far as plot goes, this is a good one, with echoes of Hoosiers and more excitement than you might think. It is a given that Coach Cunningham and his young players will nurture one another and create a suspense-driven winning culture. 

Ben Affleck owns this role. Critics are debating whether or not this has been the best performance of his career, which has been a bumpy one, to say the least. This was a personal role for Affleck and one that he took seriously. His performance solely turns this movie into something of a classic. 

The Way Back premiered in theaters on March 6, 2020. The movie has a rating of 7.2 out of 10 on IMDb and 85% on Rotten Tomatoes. It has made $8.5 million at the box office thus far. Showtimes for The Way Back can be found here