What your vote means to our nation

If+over+18%2C+commit+to+civic+engagement+and+let+your+vote+be+your+voice+on+Nov.+3+

Jack Kleeberger (Designer)

If over 18, commit to civic engagement and let your vote be your voice on Nov. 3

OHS Magnet Staff, Magnet Editors

When the thirteen colonies succeeded from Great Britain in 1776, our founding fathers created a complex and intricate system based on democracy. A government of the people, by the people, for the people. It was the tyrannical aristocracy of the British empire that ultimately compelled, and inspired, the birth of such a system. The idealism that would go on to shape the future of America was summed up in a declaration written over 200 years ago, “We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” 

The question we face today is not the intentions of the men who drafted this declaration, the question remains what have we done with the principles upon which we were founded. How have we preserved, strengthened and expanded the true genius of America?

Our history has proven to serve a long and arduous battle against the evils of racism, sexism and greed. Albeit, an inherently critical one. This being said, over the years we have continued to see faith in government dwindle, belief in humanitarian and environmental efforts subdued and the overwhelming notion that the government does not care for the ordinary citizen. 

Despite all of the wars, turmoil and economic injustices that continue to plague this nation, the importance of the people’s vote remains. The belief that ordinary citizens can seize control over their own destiny, plan their lives in accordance with their faith and moral compass and operate in a way that confirms their freedoms under the constitution, is a belief we must hold near and dear to our hearts. 

It has never been more imperative that the people of this country unite in assuring their right to vote. Over the past four years we have seen an assault on the integrity and legitimacy of our free press. We have seen foreign adversaries launch disinformation campaigns in an attempt to interfere with our elections and we have seen voter suppression, perpetrated by our own people, on an unprecedented scale. 

This is not an issue regarding red states and blue states, or conservative America and liberal America, this is an issue regarding the United States of America.

In the 2016 presidential election, the United States saw a disheartening 55 percent voter turnout, well below that of other developed countries. If we truly want to preserve, strengthen and expand the true genius of this nation, we need to do better. 

One of the most critical elements to the prosperity of our democracy will be empowering, inspiring and igniting our youth. To the young adults driving the workforce, to the men and women attending colleges and universities and to all of the 18 year old high school students around the country, OHS in particular, please go out and vote. 

This is not an issue regarding red states and blue states, or conservative America and liberal America; this is an issue regarding the United States of America. Step up to the plate, fulfill your civic duty and take control of your destiny. Not just through talking, hinting or complaining, but through a decisive action that has been granted to you by the men and women who fought so hard for the precious right to vote. Utilize the power which rests in your hands, because every lesson of history tells us that strength lies in the numbers.