OHS Girls Swim and Dive team pulls through

Margret Jacott

Freshman, Shelby Born swimming the 500 free

Margret Jacott, Writer

Emma Robinson swimming the breast stroke

The OHS Girls Swim and Dive team went through a lot of changes this season due to COVID-19 such as a shortened season, face masks, social distancing and not being able to use the locker rooms for showering. 

A shortened season, face masks, social distancing, and not being able to use the locker rooms for showering were just a few of the changes brought to this swim season. Coach Isaiah Fuller describes coaching the girls while obeying the new safety precautions, “I think it’s tough because I feel like the first three or four weeks we weren’t coaching so much as we were policing.”

These weren’t the only changes Covid-19 brought to the season; the girls have also been participating in virtual meets. Each team competes at their home pool, then compares scores to find out which school won. Captain Cheryl Smith said, “I kind of like them. They’re fast and they start earlier, which is really nice, so you get out earlier and have time to do things after the meet. I also think there is a lot less pressure, however, the competition is nice during regular meets.”

Despite the many difficulties this year brought, the team was able to pull through. Coach Fuller said, “I think we’ve done a fantastic job. I think the key right now is we have to be able to put our nose to the grindstone, and just push through the last couple of weeks to get to where we need to be.”

Consisting of 34 girls, the team finished the season 1-7. The swimmer varsity sections took place at Northfield middle school on Friday, Oct. 23 at 6:00 P.M. where they finished in ninth place. The divers varsity sections took place at Farmington middle school pool on Thursday, Oct. 22 at 6:00 P.M. where Margret Jacott finished at fourteenth place, Kaitlyn Cobban took twenty-second and Abby Munns twenty-third. 

Sophomore Logan Norrid not only earned many wins for the team, but she achieved various personal goals throughout the season as well. At varsity sections, Norrid finished second in both  the fly and breast stroke. She also broke the previous 500 free record with a 5:18.94. As of right now, Norrid currently holds school records for the 200 free, 200 IM, 100 fly, 500 free, and the 100 breast.