Happy Hallmark-idays

Press Release Photo

Celebrate the holidays with the Hallmark Channel’s Christmas countdown Source: Hallmark Channel Logo

Lily Sampson, Writer

Every December, the Hallmark Channel is flooded with a massive influx of Christmas movies. Hallmark’s Christmas movies stream constantly, with new movies premiering every Saturday and Sunday at 7 p.m. from Oct. 24 to Dec. 20. Hallmark’s heartfelt Christmas movies are not only available on the Hallmark Channel, but can also be accessed through the Hallmark TV app. 

This year, Hallmark is releasing 23 new movies. Most of these movies follow the same story line: a big-city girl falls in love with a small-town boy, the love story is momentarily put on hold while the couple overcomes a brief conflict, and in the end, succeeding a miracle, the two live happily ever after. 

Though Hallmark has become infamous for its conventional, formulaic Christmas movies, the channel has begun to move away from traditional stereotypes, making strides in formulating a more diverse, inclusive movie platform. 

For the first time, the 2020 movie lineup contains several exciting exceptions: going beyond the expected heteronormative storyline, The Christmas House follows two married men, Brandon and Jake, as they go through the process of adopting their first child. Freshman Kate Sande said, “I heard somewhere that they [Hallmark] will be having different movies that are more diverse so I’m excited to see that.”

At the end of the day, Hallmark does an excellent job of providing families with wholesome content to enjoy during the holidays. In the words of senior, Skylah Conner, “Hallmark movies are fun to watch and not think about anything other than Christmas.” Hallmark movies give audience’s a sense of comfort: a feeling that is especially cherished amidst the chaos of the holiday season.