Juniors Hess and Ginskey received ExCEL Award

Press Release Photo

Connor Ginskey and Ava Hess were nominated for the 2020-21 Excel award.

Kya Dixon, Writer

The Minnesota State High School League has an award that is sponsored by Wells Fargo. Every year for the past 25 years, the junior class gets to apply for this award. Each school throughout the state of Minnesota gets to nominate a boy and a girl. The ExCEL award is an award that notices students that stand out in academics, athletics and involvement throughout the community. 

This year, Owatonna has nominated Connor Ginskey and Ava Hess for the ExCEL Award. Ginskey is a junior at the OHS who flourishes in sports, academics and involvement throughout the community. Ginskey is a three-sport athlete who participates in Basketball, Cross Country and Track. Ginskey is involved in Choir, Band, DECA and NHS. Ginskey said, “I’m very honored to be nominated for this award.” Ginskey and Hess both deserve to be nominated for this award because of their hard work in academics, athletics and hard work in the community. 

The other nominee is Ava Hess. Hess is a junior at OHS, she succeeds in athletics, academics and involvement in the community. Hess is involved in soccer, band, NHS, Link Crew, SHOC and student council. Hess also loves to draw and do calligraphy in her free time. Hess is very excited to be nominated for the ExCEL Award. Hess said, “It feels very surreal! I am honored and humbled to be a nominee for this amazing award. I applied for this award thinking I didn’t stand a chance against all the amazing people in my grade, so I was very surprised when I found out I was a nominee.” The ExCEL Award winners will be announced on February 1, 2021. The recipients will be honored at the 2021 Minnesota State Girls Basketball tournament this winter. 

UPDATE: Hess has been named as a finalist for the EsCEL award.