Student Poll: Super Bowl

Zach Kubicek, Writer

The Super Bowl is one of sports most famous championships. The national championship has been around since 1967. Each year, 32 teams compete for possession of the Vince Lombardi Trophy, but only one can win. 

A recent poll was sent to OHS students which asked who they thought would win Super Bowl LV. The results are close to 50/50. 55 percent of students picked the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to win. The Buccaneers are 11-5 on the season and recently beat the Green Bay Packers in the NFC championship to go to the Super Bowl. Senior Dom Valento said, “Tom Brady is the GOAT” (Greatest Of All Time). Tom Brady has been in the league since 2000. He spent his first 20 seasons with the New England Patriots. This is Brady’s first season with the Buccaneers and he hopes to bring them their first championship since 2003. Brady is considered by many sports commentators, players and coaches to be the greatest quarterback of all time.

In a Magnet poll, 45 percent of students picked the Kansas City Chiefs to win. Junior Devon Roush believes the Chiefs will win the Super Bowl. Roush said, “They are simply a better team.” The Chiefs have a record of 14-2 and are led by 25 year old Patrick Mahomes. Mahomes is looking to win the Super Bowl for the second consecutive time after last year’s win against the San Francisco 49ers. The Buccaneers and Chiefs met each other once in the regular season. The Chiefs were able to hold off the Buccaneers 27-24. 

Super Bowl LV will be played on Sunday Feb. 7 at the Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida. It is available to watch on the CBS channel or streamed live on other services.