Stransky’s next step

Oliver Hansen

Zach Stransky running the ball down the sideline

Brayden Truelson, Writer

From a very young age, Zach Stransky has always passed the “eye test” when it comes to his raw athletic ability. His size, speed and strength have always stuck out when watching him and now he will be putting his talents to use at the next level at the University of Wisconsin River Falls. After an excellent sophomore and junior football seasons, Stransky drew lots of interest from many schools in the upper Midwest, but ultimately decided on River Falls because of his major and the coaching staff showed lots of interest and was very welcoming. 

Stransky is really excited to get on campus next fall and to prove himself to the coaching staff that he can be an impact player on the defensive side of the ball or on special teams from day one. Senior teammate Mason Saufferer said, “Zach put in an outstanding effort every day and had a great season this year, but what made him so special as a captain was his ability to keep everyone motivated, focused and his uplifting mentality.” 

This is a rare skill set and Zach played that role exceedingly well for three years. He will be difficult to replace.

— Jeff Williams

Stransky ended his Husky career on a high note with 45 total tackles, two and a half sacks, one interception and was named defensive team MVP and Big SE All District. Coach Jeff Williams said, “Zach played the most unique role we have on our defense. The strong corner has to be part linebacker and part defensive back. Zach had the ability to step in the box and take on linemen and fullbacks, step out to the edge and make tackles, and align in space and cover wide receivers all over the field. This is a rare skill set and Zach played that role exceedingly well for three years. He will be difficult to replace.” Stransky’s play on the defensive side of the ball was a big reason why the football team won yet another section championship this year, making it five years in a row. 

Everyone has memories from high school that they will remember for the rest of their lives and tell their kids and grandchildren about. For Stransky, most of those memories and stories will come from playing football. Stransky said, “There were so many meaningful and exciting moments playing football the last four years, between getting to start as a sophomore and playing the best game in the world with my best friends, too winning a state championship and running out of the tunnel at U.S Bank Stadium for the first time and seeing all the blue and the roar of the crowd, this was a time I will truly never forget.” Stransky signed his letter of intent on Feb. 3 to continue playing football and majoring in agricultural business at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls.