2021 “Snow Drive” combines two OHS favorites

Sam Snitker, Writer

2021 Snow Week Royalty

Lastly, with all these events going on, OHS tops it off with Snow Drive royalty. Top 12 candidates for Snow King and Queen have already been voted on and Top 5 will be announced on Tuesday, March 2. Candidates who reach the top five will be performing a skit for students at the NHS talent show, and King and Queen will also be crowned during this event.

Snow Week + Cash Drive= Snow Drive

With this school year being one of the craziest years we’ve ever seen, a lot of things have been changed. This year OHS has decided to combine snow week with cash drive and rename it Snow Drive. This was done so that we could fit in all the fun activities and events as normally planned. From donating to the chosen organization Rachel’s Light, to all the fun events and dress up days, there are many things in store for students during snow drive.

For this year’s cash drive portion of Snow Drive, OHS has chosen to donate to Rachel’s Light. Rachel’s light is an organization that provides women and children with a loving home. They provide these women and children with basic necessities like food, water and shelter, as well as give them emotional support. Senior student council member Wilo Omot said, “We as a council wanted to choose a place that was close and local that we could support and really see the results of them helping us.” All donations will be going straight to Rachel’s Light in helping them continue to change the lives of women and children in the community.

For the snow week portion of Snow Drive, we have many fun activities as well as dress up days that will be taking place. This year, Snow Drive will be taking place from March 1-13, two weeks long instead of one. Sophomore student council member Sarah Snitker said, “We are excited to finally have some fun with everything going on in the world. I hope that everyone can come and participate in all the amazing events planned for the coming weeks.”

Snow Drive Events

Along with all the dress up days, OHS will also be hosting a school-wide Medallion hunt again this year. There will be three different Medallions, one for group one and two, and another for distance learners. Color-coded clues will be posted to the OHS Magnet Instagram (@ohsmagnet) around 2:00 p.m. The prize for this year is a flat screen TV, but you must find your correct medallion. The group one and two Medallions are in the school, and the distance learning Medallion is somewhere out in the community.

There are evening events as well. On Mon. March 1 there will be a movie night at 7 p.m. and we will be watching The Sandlot. Wednesday, March 3 will be sledding at West Hills from 4 to 6 p.m, and bring your own sled. Saturday, March 6 the Mangeant will be held in the OHS auditorium at 7 p.m. There will be a live stream, as well as in person tickets available. Tuesday, March 9 there will be a Basketball Extravaganza at Washington Elementary (door 10) from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, March 10 Elementary Game night will be held at Washington Elementary (door 10) from 7 to 9 p.m. There will not be sign ups for this, just show up to participate. The last event is on Saturday, March 13 where the NHS Talent Show will be held in the OHS auditorium at 7 p.m . If you are interested in the Talent Show or know anyone that is please contact any NHS members. With these activities, there will also be class and teacher competitions, with some crazy incentives in place for the losers.