Bangs leaps into the next level

Harrison Kuhn

As a freshman Lindsay Bangs performs floor routine at State. Next year Bangs will go to Gustavus.

Parris Hovden, Writer

OHS senior Lindsay Bangs has made her commitment to Gustavus Adolphus College to pursue a degree in the science field, while also competing for their gymnastics team. Bangs has been a two sport athlete for Owatonna and all of her hard work and dedication has paid off well for her. 

Bangs had been a part of the Owatonna Gymnastics Club program for six years and then decided in grade seven it was time to move up to the high school gymnastics team. Bangs was put on varsity her first year of high school gymnastics. Bangs has had many accomplishments throughout the last five years of gymnastics. Bangs said, “I think my biggest accomplishments have been making it to individual state five years in a row and placing on the podium in at least one event each year. Also being a part of a team who has won five Big 9  titles, four section titles and competing as a team at state four years in a row.” That shows a lot of time and effort she has dedicated to the sport. Bangs has shown her dedication towards gymnastics through her leadership. Teammate, sophomore Kaitlyn Cobban said, “Lindsay’s leadership has affected the team in a positive way because she always knows what to say when you’re having an off day.”  

Bangs had options to choose from for college and she knew right away what fit her best and what she wanted.   Although she had offers from other schools, Gustavus checked everything off her list and the other schools did not feel as welcoming and comfortable for her. OHS Head coach Evan Moe said, “I think Gustavus will be a good fit for Lindsay because she can pursue graduate school/medical school. While gymnastics is a huge part of her life she’s choosing such a academically focused program that will guide her to the next stage in life.”

Bangs is pleased with her decision and had true impact throughout her years in gymnastics. Bangs knew she would get to where she is because of the support and encouragement from her coaches and parents. Bangs said, ”Tom Smith and Evan Moe, and my parents have had the biggest impact on me throughout gymnastics. They have supported me tremendously and without them I don’t think I would be where I am today.” Without having these people impact her gymnastics career, she would not be where she is today. 

I think Gustavus will be a good fit for Lindsay because she can pursue graduate school/medical school. While gymnastics is a huge part of her life she’s choosing such a academically focused program that will guide her to the next stage in life.

— Evan Moe

Doing gymnastics is not the only thing Bangs is looking forward to. She is super excited to follow her dad’s footsteps as a doctor by majoring into the science field and learning what they have to offer. Bangs has set a huge impact on all the younger gymnasts on her team while still helping out with the previous high school teams and their scores. Bangs has always been an outstanding gymnast. Retired gymnastics head coach, Tom Smith, said, “Lindsay is an outstanding gymnast because she shows strength, body awareness and body control and those three things move through the skills that you need to know where you are. Another thing she shows is desire, courage and believing and those three things put together a talented athlete. That is why I think Gustavus will be a good fit for Lindsay Bangs.” As Bangs leaves OHS, her talent will shine at the next level.