The Huskies are dominating offensively heading into sections

Sophomore Ezra Oien looking for open space after a shot on goal

Sam Snitker, Writer

The Owatonna Girls Hockey team has had a great season this year with a flashy record of 15-3. The girls are looking good in the conference and looking to make a run in the section tournament next week. 

The girls have had a lot of things go well for them this season, and are continuing to grind and get better each and every day. Sophomore Ezra Oien said, “As a team, we have been able to create good chemistry which has helped us through adversity.” The girls have been absolutely crushing their opponents, with big wins against every team in the conference excluding Northfield. Head coach Tony Cloud said, “Our team chemistry has helped propel our offense this season. Being able to return 18 of 20 section roster players from last year helped us hit the ground running.” When in the win column, the girls on average beat their opponents by an astounding 6.5 points per game. This has definitely contributed to the team’s massive success this season.

All things considered, the girls have done really well so far this year. With that being said, playoffs are an entirely different game. Senior captain Syd Hunst said, “One tough thing about this year is that we haven’t been able to face as many different teams.” Due to COVID-19, the game schedule this year was reduced, and consisted of only conference games. Because of this, the girls were not  exposed to as good of competition as they normally would when playing good teams like Lakeville and Farmington. Hunst said, “The section games will be completely different than the games we’ve had all season, we just need to play smart and I think we can compete with anyone.”

The girls will look to keep their season alive after a cancellation last night, and are scheduled to play their first section game tonight, Tuesday, March 16 vs. Dodge County at 7:00 p.m. in Kasson.