Sexual Assault Awareness Month 2021

Bella Anderson, Writer

Every year, since it was first nationally observed in 2001, April has been dubbed Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Each year the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) coordinates a national Sexual Assault Awareness Month campaign.

As the NSVRC marks this April as its official 20th anniversary, this year’s mission statement is “We can build safe online spaces.” The organization defines online sexual abuse as “any type of sexual harassment, exploitation, or abuse that takes place through screens. As the COVID-19 pandemic moved everyone online, the need to spread awareness of online sexual abuse has increased dramatically.

For the entire month of April, the NSVRC is hosting online events to help get communities and individuals involved. This year, the highest priority event is the #30DaysofSAAM Instagram Challenge. They use daily prompts to encourage viewers to educate, raise awareness and connect with others. The NSVRC encourages everyone to take some time this month to, “Learn how you can practice consent online, keep the kids in your life safe from abuse, facilitate and participate in respectful online communities. In addition, explore the impact that trauma from online abuse can have and the options available for survivors looking for support.”

The NSVRC accepts donations year long, although their focus remains on Sexual Assault Awareness Month. NSVRC envisions a world free of sexual assault and abuse. To achieve this, we lead the national Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) campaign every April to share the message that prevention is possible.” To donate to NSVRC visit their donation page.

Official YASV logo

How to get involved locally 

OHS junior Fardouza Farah is president of the Minnesota chapter of Youths Against Sexual Violence (YASV), an organization that focuses on providing support for sexual assault survivors. Their mission says, “We aim to take tangible action against the injustice that sexual violence survivors face.” As the Minnesota Chapter President, Farah said, “I handle everything the organization does in our state. I work on projects ranging from (fiscal) legislation to (social) fundraisers. I initially got involved when the last president recruited me as the legislative lead because of my interest in politics.”

YASV is advocacy and action-based, so advocacy is one of the two most important aspects of the program. Advocacy in regards to the topic of sexual violence is extremely important because it is the only way to push for tangible change to combat the overwhelming barriers sexual assault survivors face.”

— Fardouza Farah

The Minnesota chapter is working on multiple different initiatives including a bill soon to drop that will lead to Minnesota implementing a law that prohibits rapists from claiming parental rights to a child conceived out of rape. Regarding Sexual Assault Awareness Month, Farah said, “As for April, I am organizing a partnership between YASV MN and the Minnesota generation ratify chapter to combat and lessen the effects of the new MN Supreme Court ruling that stated that an intoxicated survivor person can not legally seek justice for their rape. We will also be working on fundraisers for shelters.”

Both groups are active on social media, and their Instagram pages focus on sharing information and advocacy. Farah states, “YASV is advocacy and action-based, so advocacy is one of the two most important aspects of the program. Advocacy in regards to the topic of sexual violence is extremely important because it is the only way to push for tangible change to combat the overwhelming barriers sexual assault survivors face.For students looking to learn more or get involved in YASV, the Minnesota Chapter is always accepting applications through the link in their Instagram bio.